Sunday, October 23, 2011

The Perfect Vest - Mary Glendinning

As some of you know, I am working on the TKGA Master Knitter program.  I passed level one a few weeks ago and since then have been starting research for level two.  One of the requirements of level two is to knit a vest.  The vest must have side seams and stitches picked up around the neck and arms.  Other than that, it can either be a commercial pattern or one that you design yourself.

I'm not a big fan of vests to start with so I wasn't optimistic about finding a pattern I would really like.  I could knit the vest for one of my "twenty something" daughters but the patterns they would like might be too "funky" for what I needed to do.  I began  looking for inspiration at a number of sites on the web including Ravelry, checked out various designers, looked in books and checked out what the LYS had in stock but nothing really appealed to me.  I was beginning to think that a vest that I could wear, that fit the requirements of the program, and that was unusual, fun to knit and stylish may not be out there.

I began looking through the patterns at OPYF, specifically those by Ilga Leja.  I love this designer.  Her patterns are beautiful and stylish and.... there it was..... the perfect vest pattern.  "Skin of the Sea" by Ilga Leja was exactly what I wanted.  I could actually see myself wearing this vest once it is knitted.  It is a beautiful design, challenging enough to make the knitting fun and fits the requirements of the program.  Added bonus - I can use the Fleece Artist yarn called for in the pattern because Karen carries the yarn as well!
Score!







If you haven't taken the time to look through the patterns of various designers here at OPYF I encourage you to do so.  The designs are new and fresh, funky enough in some cases for my daughter and classy enough to satisfy an old broad like me.  The range is amazing and I can find more patterns than I can knit in a lifetime.  On top of that, Karen adds new and fun designers all the time!

I probably won't start the vest for several months - I have over 20 swatches to knit, fair isle mittens and argyle socks ahead of me, plus a paper on the history of knitting - so I have lots on my plate!  But the pattern and yarn is on order so will be waiting for me when I'm ready.  I'll keep you posted on the progress - oh and by the way, OPYF will be the perfect place to purchase the yarns I need for my mittens, lace work and socks as well.   Now, how am I going to fit spinning and weaving into my schedule as well.......

Regards,
Mary Glendinning
OPYF

PS from Karen - this pattern has been reordered, again, and should be back in stock in a week or two.

No comments: