Saturday, November 17, 2012

Something You Might Like-New Books For Me

As promised, here are the books and patterns I added in this past month.  Yes, I had a gift card to Amazon.


I first saw Knit Red at my friends store.  I leafed through the book and found several patterns that I could easily see myself making.  There are 30 patterns in this book by Laura Zander and was published to promote good heart health for women.  There are even some recipes in the back as well as several pages of knitting tutorials.



I purchased A Gathering Of Lace by Meg Swanson.  She is Elizabeth Zimmerman's daughter.  I was looking for a book that would help me design some lace projects that I have in mind.  There are 42 patterns in this book and charts are included.  If you can't read charts yet, this is not the book for you.  There is a pattern for a pie shawl that I may just have to make someday.
This book is an old classic called The Lacy Knitting of Mary Schiffman by Nancy Nehring.  This is a great resource for lace patterns.  The lace designs include the patterns written out as well as charted.  It is intended for people who want to include lace in their designs.  The photos show more than enough of each lace design to understand the intent.  That's one of my beefs.  Some of the pattern dictionaries for kniters on the market today do not include a large enough sample to see what the overall material will look like.
The Harmony Guides- lace & eyelets edited by Erika Knight is next on my list.  It has 250 stitches to knit.  The photos are of smaller swatches, but I felt it was worth my effort to have this one to help me with future designs in my head.  No charts, but the text is well written.

My last book that I purchased is Super Stitches Knitting by Karen Hemingway.  As the cover says, "essential techniques plus a dictionary of more than 300 stitch patterns".  The swatches are big enough to see how they will look in any pattern you might choose to use them in.  If you are doing a plain vanilla design and want to add a little panache to it, this book is the one for you.
And finally, here are 2 patterns that I bought.  I really want to do some Fair Isle, but I have not quite made it there yet.  I think either of these projects would be fun to start with.  The Horatio and Oren owl mittens are so cute, but I think I would probably start with the Woodlands Collection of hand warmers first.  Short and sweet!
Horatio ans Oren from Twist Collective
The Woodland Collection from Knit Picks
Happy Stitching!
Regards,
Karen
One Planet Yarn and Fiber

No comments: