Greetings Fellow Knitters,
I finally was able to cast on my yarn on February 8th. I am using Madelinetosh tosh sock in toast. Below are pictures showing my process.
It's hard for me to keep track of stitches cast on, so I used stitch markers every 20 stitches cast on to keep count. Unfortunately I wasn't paying attention to the pattern and cast on 202 stitches instead of the required 252.
How did I find that out? Well I knit the first row, of course. When I reached the end of the row, the ribbing count was wrong. So I looked at the pattern again and saw my mistake. I ripped out the stitches and cast on again. I knit the first row. SAME problem. I recounted and found out I was wrong again, 242. I ripped out again. Now I have it right!
I was now able to knit the ribbing and reach the portion where the cables start. I knit the transition and then went to knit the first set of cables while watching the movie Knight and Day with my husband and son.
The problem was, I had knit the last transition row too tightly. I was having trouble moving and knitting the cable. And then! Disaster struck. I was pushing and pulling so hard that my Denise circular needle popped of the connector and a whole section of cable came undone. I had to reverse directions and undo the whole row and the transition row and reknit. Well, at least this time I remembered to knit the transition row a little looser and I was able to finish the cabled row without the needles coming apart.
While knitting cables I like to use stitch markers to show me the beginning and end of each cable repeat. I find this helps me quite a bit if I drop a stitch in the cable. I can unknit in the setion I am in and reknit or purl back up without getting my rows confused.