Monday, April 09, 2012

Thank You Susan Gibbs - How To Make Gravelax

Several weeks back Susan Gibbs from Juniper Moon Farm posted a recipe for homemade gravelax.  I decided I wanted to try to make the recipe. I changed only a couple of things from Susan's recipe.

First, we do not use cream cheese.  I took an 8 oz container of 2% plain Greek yogurt and made yogurt cheese.  To do this, you dump the yogurt in a sieve on top of cheesecloth so it can drain.

 For the gravelax, I used the same recipe, but I have since modified it to use less salt.  Gravelax is very salty, but it is absolutely delicious!

First, you rinse off the salmon and pat it dry.  Mix together the salt, sugar and, if you like, ground pepper.  Place the salmon on a large piece of parchment paper.  Rub about half of that mixture into the fish.  Layer on the sprigs of dill and fennel and then sprinkle the rest of the salt/sugar mixture on top.  Fold the parchment paper around the salmon and form a packet.  I then put the packet in a glass lasagna dish and put it in the fridge for 3 days.
 It came out looking like this.  This photo was taken after I rubbed off the excess rub.
 I prepped the garnish plate.
 My husband sliced the lax.
 Made a nice big dinner salad.
 And toasted some spelt bread.
Yum!

So here is the recipe if you want to try this too.

1 pound sockeye salmon, very fresh
1/4 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
Ground pepper to taste
minimum of 5 springs of fresh dill
minimum of 5 sprigs fresh fennel fronds

Follow the instructions above and enjoy!
Regards,
Karen
OPYF

No comments: