Sunday, May 15, 2011

On My Way to Being a Master Knitter - Mary Glendinning

Last summer I decided to finally go ahead and start the Master Knitter Program from The Knitting Guild Association.  I have two friends that have achieved Master Knitter, and another friend who finished Level 1.  It has been on my mind for a number of years but just never seemed to have the time to devote to it.  When I left working full time in a yarn store last September, I decided to spend some time working on things for myself.  After spending two years of working forty plus hours a week I was really burned out and I needed to concentrate on doing the things I loved and things that would nourish me.  The Master Knitter program turned out to be just the thing I really needed.  For those of you who have not heard of this program - let me give you a brief outline of what it is all about.

Anyone who knits can attempt the Master Knitter program.  It is a program where you have to complete three levels of classes, research, writing and knitting before you are awarded the distinction of Master Knitter.  My friends who completed the program told me it takes about three years to complete the entire course.  It is very labor intensive.  There are people, I am sure, that have finished it much faster and then there are those who have never completed it at all.  It is interesting to see the list of those that have completed Level 1, fewer finish level 2 and even fewer finish 3.

This program is not for the faint of heart.  It is a lot of work.  In level 1 you knit a number of swatches that show your ability to follow instructions, execute a number of techniques, write a pattern, write a research essay and knit a hat.  After knitting the swatches you answer a number of questions about the technique and your answers must be researched.  You need to do a lot of reading.  I found this to be very interesting.  After knitting as long as I have, you tend to do things the same way.  This opened up new ways of doing various techniques that I had never tried before.  This is actually the point of the Master Knitting Program.  It is as much educational as it is an assessment of your ability.

Level 2 and 3 become progressively more difficult.  In level 2 you demonstrate more techniques, you write more research essays and knit a vest of your own design.  Level 3 culminates with a major research paper and knitting a sweater using cable or fair isle techniques of your own design.

My submission will be in the mail tomorrow.  Wish me luck.  It is not unusual for submissions to be returned for correction, so I will be holding my breath.

 If you are interested contact TKGA at www.TKGA.com.  There is always information in Cast On Magazine as well.  If anyone has completed the program we would love to hear your experiences.

Regards,
Mary Glendinning
OPYF

1 comment:

Lily Stevens said...

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to look into it and see if I have enough time to dedicate to this. It sounds really cool. Thanks!