Sunday, January 30, 2011

Mary Glendinning - Knitting Always There

You will notice that I have changed the title of my blog to include my last name. When I first thought about the idea of writing a blog for One Planet Yarn and Fiber, I thought that "Mary g" was kind of catchy. You know, like "Cookie A" on Ravelry?  Besides, let's face it, Glendinning is one of those loooooong names and even I get tired of typing all those n's!  I also thought that people would realize that Mary g was Mary Glendinning.  A friend recently told me that she had been reading my blogs but didn't know it was me because of some misinformation that she had heard.

So let me clear up some confusion that seems to be out there.

In September 2010 I left a knitting store where I had been working full time and returned to teaching at the Fiber Factory in Mesa. I  also decided to start designing and writing both a blog and a technical column for OPYF.  At around the same time my daughter Kaitlynn (my youngest) left Arizona for Texas to attend college.

When Kaitlynn left for school I decided that it was the right time for me to step back and re-evaluate my life and priorities.  Although it was difficult in many ways to make the change I knew it was time.  I wanted to be able to focus on things I love - like teaching.  And, I wanted to explore some new directions - writing and designing for OPYF.

Unfortunately, as these things sometimes happen, some misinformation started going around.  I understand that some people believed that I had actually left the country.  It's kind of funny really but I just wanted to let you know that I am here, I'm in good health and I'm very happy with my life.  Yes, I was sad when my youngest left home but, as any mother will tell you, while it is a sad in some ways, in other ways your life opens up and you finally have that freedom you haven't had since before the kids were born.

So, how do I connect this with knitting?  After all, that is what the blog is about!  I see it this way, most knitters have had that devil of a project that no matter how hard you work on it and no matter how much you try, it never seems to work out quite the way you expected.  At some point you either throw it in the corner and forget about it or you rip it out and use the yarn for something else.  Life can be this way as well. Sometimes you need to figure out that it is not worth the effort anymore and it is time to move on.  It doesn't mean you will never knit again. You will find another pattern that suits you better and that will make you happy. And, eventually, you will forget the pattern that caused you so much angst. That is the great thing about knitting. It is always there for us to go back to, to reconnect with those zen moments and to give us peace. Knitting doesn't judge us, doesn't betray us, doesn't spread rumors.  It is what it is.

Thanks to all my friends and students who continue to find and support me in my new life.


Ewe Can Knit!
By
Mary Glendinning
maryg@oneplanetyarnandfiber.com

No comments: